Casey Jarmes is an indie game developer currently studying for a BA in Game Design from Columbia College Chicago. He frequently participates in Game Jams and creates indie games in his spare time. He is trained in C#, Unreal, and Unity.
Jarmes worked on the following projects:
- Astronaut Alone (May 2020, Sole Developer)
- Trapped alone in the stars, a lone shipwrecked astronaut flies through fields of debris and asteroids to reclaim lost letters, their only connection to home. Astronaut Alone is a beautiful 2D Platform tackling the themes of isolation and regret with a story told out of order through lost letters. In this game, the player is able to jump midair whenever they want, but limited in jumps by their fuel gauge, forcing players to conserve resources and think carefully about how they traverse a level.
- Jarmes worked as the sole developer on Astronaut Alone, programming, designing, writing, and creating all art assets.
- The story script for the game can be found here.
- Bonetrousle (October 2019, Sole Developer)
- An arcade style game where you play as a dog collecting bones scattered around a busy intersection. As you collect bones, the cars speed up, forcing you to be more and more careful.
- Jarmes programmed and designed this game for a class project.
- CoCost SampleMania (January 2020, Writer and Audio Programmer) Created for the Global Game Jam 2020
- In this comical game, the player works as a mechanic fixing free sample firing gun turrets in a warehouse store. Because the player is allergic to these free samples, they must duck and weave around the level, dodging projectiles as they make the level more dangerous.
- Jarmes helped create the game’s concept and wrote the flavor text and PA announcements. In addition, he programmed the audio system and bug-tested the game.
- The Intro, Game Over, and Win Screens, written and assembled by Jarmes, can be found here.
- Other Games
- Bootstraps (March 2020, Lead Designer)
- Bootstraps is a board game about working class life. The goal of the game is to force players, through its mechanics, to make the same choices millions of working class Americans are forced to make. Decisions like sticking with a poor paying job because you can’t afford to spend time looking for a new one, delaying college because you cannot afford it, and turning to crime to support yourself.
- Jarmes co-designed the game’s mechanics, designed the board and cards, and created the art assets.
- Can be downloaded here
Jarmes has written several interactive stories using Twine.
- The Death of Damian Tarot (November 2018)
- After wealthy mob boss Damian Tarot is found dead, the police interrogate his bodyguard about the murder.
- 1871 (December 2018)
- A bounty hunter searches for a murderer who fled to the frontier.
Jarmes has created several custom levels for the Video Game Quake
- Clown Church (December 2020, Singleplayer)
- Deep within the sewers, you hear the echoing of circus music and honking horns. As you delve down, you are attacked by chainsaw wielding clowns and stumble upon a massive temple built in an underground cavern. A church…for clowns.
- A log of the development process can be found here.
- Can be downloaded here.
- Jailhouse Rock (October 2020, Deathmatch)
- A competitive Quake multiplayer level, built for 2-4 players, taking place inside a prison.
- Can be downloaded here.
Other Design Work
- Jarmes wrote an in depth analyses of the first 20 minutes of the video game Celeste.
- Jarmes has written several game reviews over the years.
- Jarmes runs a blog that does deep dive analyses of the writing and design of Fire Emblem Fates.
- Assembled pre-made assets in Unity and fiddled with lighting to create this mock up of a Halloween themed diner.